What’s a cookie?
- A “cookie” is a piece of information that is stored on your computer’s hard drive and which records how you move your way around a website so that, when you revisit that website, it can present tailored options based on the information stored about your last visit. Cookies can also be used to analyse traffic and for advertising and marketing purposes.
- Cookies are used by nearly all websites and do not harm your system.
How to control cookies
You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish – for details, see aboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work.
If you want to check or change what types of cookies you accept, this can usually be altered within your browser settings. You can block cookies at any time by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
- Cookies are either:
– Session cookies: these are only stored on your computer during your web session and are automatically deleted when you close your browser – they usually store an anonymous session ID allowing you to browse a website without having to log in to each page but they do not collect any personal data from your computer; or
– Persistent cookies: a persistent cookie is stored as a file on your computer and it remains there when you close your web browser. The cookie can be read by the website that created it when you visit that website again. [We use persistent cookies for Google Analytics.]
- Cookies can also be categorised as follows:
– Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential to enable you to use the website effectively, such as when buying a product and / or service, and therefore cannot be turned off. Without these cookies, the services available to you on our website cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
– Performance cookies: These cookies enable us to monitor and improve the performance of our website. For example, they allow us to count visits, identify traffic sources and see which parts of the site are most popular.
– Functionality cookies: These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make and provide enhanced features. For instance, we may be able to provide you with news or updates relevant to the services you use. They may also be used to provide services you have requested such as viewing a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect is usually anonymised.
|Necessary cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.|
|__cfduid||addtoany.com||HTTP||1 year||Used by the content network Cloudflare to identify trusted webtraffic|
|PHPSESSION||thebalancecollective.co.uk||HTTP||Session||Preserves user session state across page requests|
|Statistic cookies help website owners to understand how visitors interact with websites by collecting and reporting information anonymously.|
|_ga||Google Analytics||HTTP||2 years||Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website|
|_gat||Google Analytics||HTTP||Session||Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate|
|_gid||Google Analytics||HTTP||Session||Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website|
|Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user and thereby more valuable for publishers and third party advertisers.|
|r/collect||doubleclick.net||PIXEL||Session||Enables additional Ad word functionality to Google Analytics|
|uvc||Addthis.com||HTTP||Session||Updates the counter for the web site’s social sharing features|
|Security cookies prevent spam and malicious connection attempts to this website.|
|wfvt_2964760282||Wordfence||HTTP||Session||Wordfence Security WordPress plugin which notes information about your general geographic location|
|wordfence_verifiedHuman||Wordfence||HTTP||Session||Wordfence Security WordPress plugin to protect the site against malicious attacks|
|User preferences for cookie acceptance and email subscription opt in etc.|
|cookie_notice_accepted||thebalancecollective.co.uk||HTTP||6 mnths||Cookie consent notice|
|gdpr[allowed_cookies]||thebalancecollective.co.uk||HTTP||1 year||Cookie control|
|gdpr[consent_types]||thebalancecollective.co.uk||HTTP||1 year||Cookie consent option|
|etBloomCookie_optin_2||thebalancecollective.co.uk||HTTP||24 hours||Elegant Themes Bloom email subscription popup|